Friday, March 23, 2018

Award winning book

I just finished Renee Watson's book, Piecing Me Together. It was awarded a Newbery Honor and a Coretta Scott King Award this year.
Piecing Me Together
This is an important read. I was able to walk through the story with a young girl of color living with financial struggles and trying to better her future. Even though I did not live her life, I could absolutely connect with her on a personal level when she was unsure of herself and struggling with friendships. That is what makes a quality read. You learn about someone else's life, but still realize we are all trying to figure out this world in our own way. The main character, Jade, is a talented artist and that was a great story line as well as the perfect ending to the story.
This was an excellent realistic fiction read. I would suggest it to anyone who has not always felt like they fit it, or someone wanting to read a bit about racial issues in today's society.

No comments:

Post a Comment