Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Summer Titles

As a teacher, I am always hopeful that my students will have enjoyed the great pleasure that a good book brings ENOUGH that they want to continue to search out books for themselves over the summer. I also hope they return to tell me about great books they have read...Here are some I have recently enjoyed and have recommended to some students to try this summer -

Image result for raven cycle

Image result for raven cycle book 4Oh MAN!! This series....The Raven Cycle, usually I will read the first book in a series so that I can booktalk it to my students and move on. It is a true compliment if I WANT to continue reading a series. This series is absolutely worth it!! I have read all three (I read The Raven Boys over again, as I had first read it a few years ago) all over the last month.



I am currently reading the last book in the series, but the twist and turns have left me on edge about how the author will leave these characters. There is magic, death, love, true friendship, fantasy, creatures, adventure and fighting! Everything needed for a great read!

Another book I highly recommend is Booked by Kwame Alexander. It is a realistic fiction book written in free verse poetry. It tells the story of a middle school student dealing with friends, family, sports and most of the "normal" going ons of a tween. Absolute must read for boys and girls over their middle school "careers!

It is the author's second free verse poetry novel. He won the Newbery for his book, Crossover, and that is a great read as well!

Image result for booked

Another great title I recently read is Zane and the Hurricane.
Image result for zane and the hurricane
This one had been on my shelves for a few years and I finally read it because a group of my 6th graders selected it as their book club book. I was excited to read it with them!
It tells, in a very appropriate for middle school way, the events leading up to and directly after Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. This is a true historical event for students I see, but I can vividly remember watching the news, waiting for news from friends effected, and helping to raise money afterwards. Zane, the main character, is a sweet and kind boy who ends up visiting family as the storm is hitting New Orleans. He experiences the hurricane and the flood of the lower ninth ward neighborhood directly after the storm. Students were begging for more reading time during this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment